Thursday, January 17, 2013

Ghost in Gurney Hotel Penang



Ghost in Gurney Hotel Penang
A foreign tourists visit the hotel where they find strange and unexplainable things in their room.

A good friend of mine, Nigel and Martha, recently met up with me in Kuala Lumpur before leaving for Penang. They book a suite at the Gurney Hotel in Penang, the room was spacious and nice but the support staffs were inefficient and unfriendly.



Gurney Hotel in Penang

Nigel and Martha planned to spend several days there before flying off to Pulau Langawi. During the trip in Penang, they plan to spend some time in Gurney Drive, the Botanical Garden, Penang Hill and the famous Kek Lok Si temple. 


A Hawker stall in Gurney Drive

The first night in the hotel, everything was fine, except the neighbouring rooms were filled with kids’ playing and laughter. Nigel was annoyed that the parents’ seem to let the kids (probably spoilt and pampered) make so much noise without caring about their neighbours. Martha reasoned that they kids were probably off for their school holidays. Nigel did not want to spoilt their time in Penang and did not say further.


One night after spending time strolling and having their meal at Gurney Drive, they went back to their hotel room, they notice something odd about their room. Their entire room seemed to fill up with the kids’ laughter and they looked at each curiously. 

“Good Graciously Me!” Martha yelled out as she skipped and face their bed, and on their bed were several blackish smoky “things” jumping up and down. Nigel grabbed his wife and they just stared speechless at the freakish apparition jumping on their bed. Luckily, the strange jumping apparition simply disappeared. 

Nigel and Martha stormed down to the reception and demanded an explanation! The night manager and maintenance staff went up to their suite but found nothing. The night manager was however apologetic and was willing to change to their room.

What did Nigel and Martha actually saw…..guess we will not know.

13 comments:

  1. Overnight there in 2 bedroom suites last 2 days with family and the sink tap in the bathroom keeps turning on and off several times and I couldn't sleep at all during the night. We put a glass under the tap and after it was mysteriously turned on, the glass is filled. We couldnt see the activity because it stopped when we rushed to check it out when the tap was turned on. The disturbance stopped at around 5 am. It was really mysterious! And the thumping sound on the ceiling is just so weird, seems like kids running around but, I dont think it is logic because the concrete is thick and the floor is carpeted I dont think that sound could be produced in any way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh god, all that is Very scary. The story about the jumping "kids" and the commenter's story of the glass being mysteriously filled. How scary.
    Christopher, is Gurney Hotel the same one we stayed at years and years ago with the family?
    All so scary. Gurney Hotel must really be haunted. And to hear the staff were inefficient and unfriendly - what a put off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncanny and creepy connection to what Anonymous posted. I am wondering whether it is caused by the same entities! I was told that Gurney Hotel has many weird encounters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am about to stay in that hotel in early April, me & my son at a suite, it was pretty cheap so just try lah. Anyway, i stayed there many years ago & never encounter anything. Wait for this trip, if I have any experiences, I shall be sure to post

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is me 'Anonymous' who posted on March 26, 2014 at 1:36AM
    I was there at Gurney between the 4th & 6th April & back. We stayed at a suite on the 35th floor, My experience - kids laughing, talking in the neighbouring rooms till 2-3am in the morning. For (2) nights I could not sleep. I would not say it's ghost, they are real kids as I can see through the peep-hole, in fact a kid from the room opposite us came to bang on our door several times. It only stopped when I opened my door & the kid ran back to the room opposite, there was a woman there too & she smiled when she saw me. I was just quiet then & there, never uttered a word. It's difficult to sleep those (2) nights because of the incessant noises coming from the adjacent rooms. I guess the walls are thin so its impossible to expect a quiet environment. Next time, when in Penang, I will not want to stay there, ghost or no ghost!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!!! i"m gonna stay here! love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Horrifying!!! I know this is a ghost hotel description, but I am pretty much grammar-genius. So... good adjectives, and adverbs, but you should learn your tenses; for example: you wrote "she skipped and face..." whereas, it should have been "She skipped and faced..", because "skipped" is past tense and "face" is present tense. I also know that you or some person on here might type that either you're from Malaysia, and its common writing style, or that this is not a grammar lesson. I have a counter for each of those, which is: it is always important for grown-ups (I'm just a teenager) to know their grammar, and I live in Malaysia, too, and I have good grammar, so there is absoluetly no excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Anonymous for grammar mistakes...will try to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since im 15 years old until now 30 years old, i check in to this hotel with all my family's for family trip holiday, nothing happen to me and my family....and always got so many kids around playing and being noise....its a normal for big family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi Shuhadda Mohamed Fuad, I realize that we seldom meet ghosts or the supernaturals.Except if our luck is really down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. a haunted hotel. no joke.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stayed here from Dec 11 - 12, 2018. Honestly, nothing happened! Hotel is a bit run down compared to when I first stayed here about 15 years ago. Apart from the maintenance that the management should take, i.e. Faulty hairdryer, smelly towels and unanswered calls to the reception, nothing extraordinary that couldn't be explained happened! Fyi, booked 2 units of Two Bedroom Suite. None of it is haunted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m going to stay there. Life is an adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to have your say or tell us your own ghostly & unnatural tales.